Thursday, December 30, 2010

Year 2010 in Twitter: The Highlights (Part Two)

In the previous post, we looked at some of the highlights of the first part of 2010, from the Gamecocks winning the CWS to primary season to Paul the Octopus. Let's see what I found remarkable from this past July to December. And I don't mean Alvin Greene.


July: If you hid me during the month of July due to my incessant soccer tweets, I empathize. When I wasn't tweeting in German, I was complaining about Spain. Not unlike a typical Tuesday. (I kid.)

Jul 15, the bungled iPhone press conference. Funny, for all the Mac products I use, I love watching them fail more than just about any company other than Google.

Jul 23, I'm officially done with baseball for the year: How bad is MLB this year? We're talking FBALL already. The truth was, I never got into it. Runs were down, attendance down, something was off all year, culminating in a high school team winning the World Series 1-0 over a Little League team. Or at least that's how the playoffs felt like.

Jul 27, ragging on Macs again: Whenever that stupid pinwheel spins on my Mac mouse cursor, I've found it spins just long enough for me to think "Mac, it just works"

Aug 6, I thought my Twitter conversation with Anna Vocino on how to convert image types would be the coolest interaction with a celeb all year. Nope. What started as an easy joke (How's MAAAARY doing, do you know?) ended with me getting a Follow Friday from Jackee of 227: Not gonna lie, less-than-average day suddenly became AWESOME. Is that a from Jackee? RT @: #FF @

Better than the direct message I once received from Jake Tapper? Maybe.

Aug 10, I applaud Chris Low from ESPN for ranking South Carolina mid-range in the SEC preseason rankings. Low is great but how wrong was he? #2 Florida was so bad the coach quit; #3 Georgia barely became bowl eligible; and #5 Auburn and #7 SC played for the SEC crown. Other than that, great prediction.

Mid-August, I'm still talking politics. Shut up already, sheesh.

Aug 23, Monday Night Football returns to Nashville, three months after the flood: Hard to believe 3 months ago was underwater, tonight being held there. Great to see back in action. The Titans never really got back in action, though, did they? But the water receded, so we got that at least.

Sep 13, the ACC is having a bad year on the field: I'm not ready to write off ACC completely, think season will end with at least 3 in top 25 (prob Clem FSU and Mia in that order). In the end, I almost had the number right (two finished in top 25 with two others hovering around 27/28). But it was Virginia Tech, not Clemson, as the highest ranked ACC team. Which says something when a team that loses to James Madison could reel off ten straight wins including conference play. And that "something" is sad.

Mid-Septemeber, we spend way too much time talking about Delaware, a state that used all of its fifteen minutes during primary season.

Oct 6, proving once again how little faith I had in the Gamecocks this year: Bama by only 6? That would be something, Low. Who knew that would be the launchpad to maybe the best SC season ever?

Nov 1, NFL outdraws MLB World Series for first time ever: No surprise: two good NFL teams vs two faceless unexciting MLB teams. Proving I was right to give up on the season back in April, could sense boring on the horizon.

Nov 27, NC State finally gets a villian after referee Ron Cherry does a horrific job spotting the ball during a crucial series against Maryland. In response, we post the infamous YouTube clip:


Dec 2, I realize how bad Nashville is for microbrews: : worst city ever for seasonal beers. Can't find Anchor Christmas or Lump of Coal. May need Smokey & Bandit routine to Kentucky. In the end, DC friend comes through and I receive the greatest care package ever in the mail.

Dec 22, it's only appropriate I end with a link to the funniest story I read all year: The funniest Kenny Loggins story you'll read today You can't compete with humor of that caliber; you can only pass it along.

So, 2010, all in all, not too bad. A lot of sports, waaay too much political talk and just the right amount of humor. The Gamecocks were fairly successful, so we had that. And H. Jon Benjamin has two shows coming in January, so how bad can 2011 be?

No comments:

Post a Comment