Thursday, December 30, 2010

Year 2010 in Twitter: The Highlights

The year is nearly over, although to be honest, I can hardly remember most of it. In hindsight, it seems like one long series of conferences and bad weather. Thankfully, I tweet a lot, which is about the closest thing to a diary that I've ever had. Or will admit to sans poly. So, I present you: a look-back at the highlights in a year of Tweets.

Jan 28 on the choice of "iPad" for new Apple tablet: Maybe Apple takes the hint and changes dumb name. I doubt it. Wow, I hope that name catches on.

January: Lots of Supreme Court and POTUS talk after the SOTU. Nothing moves the Twitterverse like riveting SCOTUS banter.

Feb 6, main breaks in Nashville suburb, leaving Bellevue residents without water for the day. That's ironic considering what May would bring.

Feb 7, Superbowl is less-than-exciting, which turns focus to best ad: Funniest commercial so far: Abe and Bette White? Who knew it would end up being White's big comeback year because of that commercial?

Feb 27, tsunami heads for Hawaii: Gotta love the HI reporter that sounds almost disappointed that wave height was not as high as predicted. Ironic, considering water levels in May in Nashville would be far higher than predicted. 

March: Please Rob Me shows up on the internet, people largely indifferent. To date, "checking-in" is probably the only major technological meme that I've yet to embrace, still worried about people breaking in to steal all the things I don't have.

 Mar 14: I have a beer in Oregon with a guy from DC and meet my brother (who lived in Georgia at the time) for donuts at Voodoo. Maybe the strangest experience ever and not just because the owner of Voodoo Donuts thought I was an employee of the adult establishment next door.

Late March: Way too many basketball tweets. Seriously, there's no excuse for that.

Mar 30, I decide to tweet a debate between John Stossel and Ralph Nader. Reading back through the transcripts, I'm reminded of how surprisingly entertaining it was and how surprisingly conservative a good portion of Vanderbilt is. 

Mar 31: I blow off the Romney presentation even though I have a ticket already. Which is probably a harbinger of his chances in two years.

Apr 19: Way too much political talk at this point of the month and year. But I should be excused as the Orioles (and Nats) get off to one of the worst start in baseball history, or at least since the last time they did it.

Apr 21, irony alert: No NFL fans' tears taste as sweet as Redskins, especially here in the South. Seven months later, I'm praying for the Skins to win this weekend to help my Bucs get into the playoffs.

May 5, the Great Nashville flood hits. "We are Nashville" becomes a phrase, I nearly get trapped in a mall parking lot by rising water, the Weather Channel moves to town for a week, half of my suburb goes under, a third of the nearby apartments washed out and now every time istrains for more than an hour, we all get a little nervous again.

(Looking ahead, the Hotel would be open again by Christmas for their annual lights display but the Opry Mills would still be closed 7 months later. And we all still wonder if there are really piranhas loose inside the old mall.)

May 21, LOST ends its six-year run and ABC's Jake Tapper tweets his guess at the final episode: Sawyer, Jack, Kate and Hurley go to prison for violating the island's "Good Samaritan" law. LOST cops out and goes with Purgatory angle. Look, if Seinfeld couldn't pull Good Samaritan off, there was no way LOST could.

May 26, I link to one of the best articles I would read all year: Facebook of the Dead - Boing Boing

Seriously, I re-read through it now and it's still just about perfect.

June, waaaay too much soccer talk. The only thing good that would come out of all of that drivel was  on June 23rd as the world learns about Paul, the psychic German Octopus. Still to this day, crazy how correct that guy was. And then he died. Yet, oddly enough, no one saw that coming.

Jun 29, the Gamecocks win the College World Series, resulting in one of my favorite tweets of the year: winning run: Walk + Passed Ball + Sacrifice Bunt + Single. Death by a thousand cuts.

But it's actually this tweet later on that night that becomes probably my most retweeted line of the year: Fact: When South Carolina wins a nat'l championship, they retire the stadium due to too much awesome. I look forward to the new stadium and I think it would be only fitting for South Carolina to open its history with another championship. Naturally.

 (End of part one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment